Hello Family and Friends,
Greetings from a cool and cloudy, Port-au-Prince. We are thankful that God protected the islands by dissipating Tropical Storm Chantel and leaving only light rain and cool weather.
Thank you for your continued prayers and support. Please see our news below, and we trust you are having an enjoyable summer where ever you may be.
Howard and Ruth Van Dam and Family
- Summer vacation began for the children on May 29.
- A Look Learn, and Listen team from Trinity Reformed Church of Grand Rapids, Michigan came to do just that; look, learn, and listen all about Haiti, our mission, vision, and how to best partner with a community.
- Peace Community Church Service and Learning Team joined us in working on the Ministry for Christian Development’s Conference Room. We are about half way complete.
- Howard and Ruth began a book Study on God’s Missional Church.
- Taressa visited for three weeks and headed to work at Pathfinder Lodge in Cooperstown, NY.
- Natasha began “In Faith Facing Your Future” at Calvin Seminary and is now learning about ministry in Austin, Texas. She will return on July 30.
- Micah and Malieke are serving as summer camp helpers at our church.
- Howard preached at Quisqueya Chapel on June 30.
- Howard and Ruth both began mentoring two youth preparing for baptism. Sous Espwa and partners completed all their personal and ministry plans and financial budgets for fiscal year 2013-2014.
- We participated in the memorial service for missionary friend, Keith Flanagan.
- Ruth is assisting our office administrator in preparing the office for two years of audits.
- Howard delved into research and development of alternative stoves and fuel sources.
- Ruth will speak at the Christian Reformed Church of Haiti’s Annual Women’s Conference on July 19-21 in Belledere II. Pray that she will be able to communicate God’s word effectively and bring encouragement to these women.
- The Ministy for Christian Development (MDK) is anxious to complete their conference center. We need at least six Service and Learning teams this coming year to help make that possible. Is this something you would be interested in? Please contact us for more information.
- Our partner, STEP, who works extensively in the dense community of Fort Mekredi is working on relocating over 100 families that are still living in a tent camp. Please pray for wisdom, good coordination, and safety during this time of transition. Our partners have all submitted their plans for the new year. Please pray for these colleagues in ministry that God will give them the energy, love, and patience to achieve their goals.
- Families from three tent camps have been resettled into neighborhood homes in the community of Christ Roi.
- Our partner, PWOFOD, who is located in the community was the facilitator on these relocations.
- Our partners, MDK and CRECH were able to make progress on their publishing projects due to financial gifts and answered prayers