The weather was fantastic—warm enough to hike without a winter jacket but cool enough to keep from overheating. Fall foliage was at its peak. Golden coins fluttered and tentatively fell from various heights above us. The three of us tromped steadily upwards until we hit around 11,000 feet in elevation. We still had about 1,300 feet to reach the summit of the highest point in the state. But, alas, it was not to be. A rock in the trail wobbled as one of my companions stepped on it and he fell backward onto the rocks, cutting his head and bruising his shoulder, arm, and leg. Fortunately, the brunt of the fall was taken by his shoulder and leg. Two young hikers behind us stopped; one whipped out her emergency kit and attempted to stop the bleeding while the other ran ahead to alert us that our companion had fallen and, as she reported ominously, “there is blood.”

My heart raced as we turned back to assist our companion. When we rounded the curve we saw he was still on the ground, wedged between two rocks and, for the first few seconds, not moving. I thought I was going to be sick. But then he started talking and turned to face us. The wound turned out to be rather superficial, though it required 7 staples to close it up nicely, but there were no broken bones. He did not pass out and it was later confirmed there was no concussion. After his fall we actually did go a little higher, at our fallen companion’s insistence, but then thought better of it and started back down at a cautious pace.

That is how I met two members of the accreditation site team two weeks ago. They had come early to hike Humphrey’s Peak. They both said they will be back someday to finish it. I made sure they would let me know so I could finish it with them.


It seems as though the team did a thorough job of interviews and observations, getting to know nearly the entire school on a first-name basis. The team was composed of six men who filled various roles in other institutions of biblical higher learning. They asked lots of questions and freely shared advice when they thought they could improve on what we are doing. They also took notes on things we are doing that they could learn from. On Thursday the 22nd they gave us their exit interview. I was encouraged to see several of them tear up as they shared how God had touched them over the course of those few days at Indian Bible College. They gave us several commendations, four suggestions, and four recommendations.

We will need to follow the recommendations and provide proof that we have done so before the accrediting institution will make a final decision as to whether to grant initial full accreditation. We still have a little bit of work to do, but the report from the site team was mostly positive. If I understand correctly, we should have final word by the beginning of the year. Thank you so much for your prayers!

Please join me in praying for several students who are not motivated to keep up with their studies. On Friday we will finish term two with a “serve day” devoted to serving our local community. There are only five weeks after that to complete the semester. Oh, and please pray for moisture! Thank you!!