It’s already March and my time here in Papua New Guinea is flying by!
Last week my coworkers and I were able to spend some time in Lele. Because it is rainy season, it took a few attempts before the weather was clear enough for us to be able to land! Thank the Lord for the wisdom and safety He gives our pilots as they daily fly through rugged conditions!
I was SO glad to be “home” again after 14 months. It was fun to see all the new babies and to visit with my Mengen friends. Unfortunately, there were also some difficult times during our 5 days in the village. As you may recall, my translation helper Anton’s father passed away just 2 weeks ago while he was here at Hoskins. His mom is like my Mengen sister, so it was really difficult to see my friends grieving. Anton told me that he was sad but he was also happy that his dad was now in heaven. We had just been reading through Revelation, so the glories of heaven took on special meaning for us.
Just before we left Lele to return to Hoskins, Anton’s mother told me that she is so thankful that all of her children are walking with the Lord so that after they die, their family will exist together in heaven and not apart from each other!! A pretty special thing for a new widow to recognize.
On Sunday, the Mengen believers put together a feast for the church and gave speeches thanking Flanagans for returning to Lele again and also to thank me for my years of ministry with them. It was special and emotional for all of us. It was especially thrilling to see how excited they are that the translation is just a few weeks away from completion! Lord willing, they will have printed copies of the Mengen New Testament in their hands before Christmas!!
Mark your Calendars….
On March 11, my translation helpers will be coming out of Lele to begin 4 long weeks of translation checking.
We have 2,657 verses to get through. (Matthew, John, Hebrews and Revelation.)
We would appreciate your prayers each day from March 11 to April 1.
- Please pray for Alex’s wife Mande (Monday). She is expecting a baby any day, so please pray that she would have her baby before Alex leaves. With her last baby, Mande hemorrhaged terribly and nearly died. Please pray for a safe and quick delivery of baby #6 for Alex and Mande.
- We are still working out the logistics of getting the 3 translation helpers out of Lele. Please pray that we can bring them out in time to start the translation check on March 11 or 12. At the moment, the guys may need to hike across a very swollen river and over rugged trails to come out. There is a possibility of them getting in the plane, but we need to come up with around 500 kgs of cargo. Sounds simple, but definitely isn’t!!
- Please pray for the 3 Mengen men, that the Lord would be preparing their hearts for this long and intense month. Sande (Sunday) will be away from his wife and 7 teenage children. Alex will be away from his wife and 5 little daughters and new baby. Moitolde (moi-toll-day) is a young man. He is supposed to be in school but will be taking this term off because of his father’s recent death. (brother to Anton).
- Travelling: Part of the translation check will be in our familiar place at Hoskins, but for 2.5 weeks, we will be in the Highlands. It’s a long way away for these guys and very scary to be in a different culture and in a location they are unfamiliar with. Pray that the Lord would calm their hearts and that all 4 of us would settle in and be able to do the translation check clearly. To be honest, I am also nervous to be going to a place I’m not too familiar with and feel responsible for my guys!
- Health: After a very stressful week last week, I have been experiencing intense fatigue that comes with Multiple Sclerosis. I have also had some other minor MS symptoms. Thankfully, I am able to rest this week and prepare myself mentally and physically for the days ahead. Pray especially that my eyesight would remain clear for all the reading and computer work that lies ahead.
My list could go on and on as there is much to pray for. Most importantly, please bathe the next 4 weeks with your prayers. We don’t want the Bible translation to be unclear or inaccurate in any way, so pray that the Lord would help the Mengen helpers and the translation consultants, as we work together to see God’s Word communicated clearly into the Mengen language.
Thanks so very much for your faithful prayers and support. I appreciate each and every one of you.
Because He is forever faithful,
Prayer Update! March 3
God hears and answers prayers! Baby girl born on Thursday night to my translation helper Alex and his wife Mande! That’s daughter #6 for this precious family!! 😊 No name yet, but mama is doing well and that is a HUGE answer to prayer. The last baby that Mande delivered, she had terrible complications but this time around she seems to be doing fine. Alex and the other 2 guys are excited and anxious to come out and help with the translation check next week.
Just a reminder to be praying for us from March 11 to April 1. We have 2600+ verses to get through and then the Mengen New Testament will be finished, Lord willing.
Thanks again for your prayers for Mande and her little baby.
Our God is an awesome God,